This is the first in the line of sure to be many more studies done with PIPS. I have been using it for a few month and we have gotten really good results! The patients like it and we have very little post -op discomfort. NOTE: Final Fill photos of PIPS cases found at the end of the blog “New service to our patients: Laser Root Canals!”.
Editorial Manager(tm) for Lasers in Medical Science
Manuscript Number: LIMS-655R2
Order of Authors: Enrico DiVito, DDS;Ove A. Peters, DMD MS PhD;Giovanni Olivi, M.D.,D.D.S.
Abstract: The aim of this study was to analyze, in vitro, the debriding ability of an Erbium:YAG (Er) laser system (2,940 nm) equipped with a newly designed radial and stripped tip of 400 micron diameter, using scanning electron microscopy (SEM) analysis. Eighty single-rooted extracted human teeth were endodontically prepared with rotary instrumentation and standardized chemical irrigation, using 5.25% sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl). At the end of mechanical instrumentation, four different final protocols were used: (G1) two minutes saline water irrigation as control group; the other groups (G2, G3, G4) were irradiated with an Er laser at 25mJ, 15Hz, 50?s pulse duration with laser spray off, using the tip in the coronal opening of the wet root canal. Different solutions and irradiation times were used: (G2) 20 sec. Er:YAG laser irradiation in sterile distilled water, wet canal; (G3) 20 sec. Er:YAG laser irradiation in 17% EDTA, wet canal; (G4) 40 sec. Er:YAG laser irradiation in 17% EDTA, wet canal. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) analysis evaluated the debridement and smear layer removal at the apical third. The study showed that standardized instrumentation, followed by a final Er:YAG laser irradiation in EDTA wet canals, resulted in more cleaning of root canal walls and a higher quantity of open tubules in comparison with the traditional irrigation method.
1. Journal of Endodontics Volume 26, Issue 8, Pages 454-458, August 2000. Canal Enlargement by Er:YAG Laser Using a Cone-Shaped Irradiation Tip. Shigeru Shoji, DDS, PhD, Hiromi Hariu, DDS, Hiroshi Horiuchi, DDS, DDSc
2. Journal of Endodontics Volume 33, Issue 7, Pages 830-832, July 2007. Evaluation of the Bactericidal Effect of Er,Cr:YSGG, and Nd:YAG Lasers in Experimentally Infected Root Canals. Qian-qian Wang, DDS, Cheng-fei Zhang, DDS, PhD,Xing-zhe Yin, DDS
3. Journal of Endodontics Volume 30, Issue 8, Pages 585-588, August 2004. Q-switched Versus Free-running Er:YAG Laser Efficacy on the Root Canal Walls of Human Teeth: A SEM Study Marouan G. Khabbaz, Mersini I. Makropoulou, Alexandros A. Serafetinides, Dimitris Papadopoulos, Eirini Papagiakoumou
4. Journal of Endodontics Volume 28, Issue 2, Pages 76-78, February 2002. Root Surface Temperature Increase during Er:YAG LaserIrradiation of Root Canals. Yuichi Kimura, DDS, PhD, Kazuo Yonaga, DDS, PhD, Keiko Yokoyama, DDS, PhD, Jun-ichiro Kinoshita, DDS, Yoshiko Ogata, DDS, Koukichi Matsumoto, DDS, PhD
5. Journal of Endodontics Volume 26, Issue 2, Pages 95-99, February 2000. A Histopathological and Immunohistochemical Study of Dental Pulp and Pulpal Nerve Fibers in Rats After the Cavity Preparation Using Er:YAG Laser. Kazunori Takamori, DDS
7. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010 Nov;110(5):657-64. Effect of Er,Cr:YSGG laser irradiation on the apical sealing ability of AH Plus/gutta-percha and Hybrid Root Seal/Resilon Combinations. Onay EO, Orucoglu H, Kiremitci A, Korkmaz Y, Berk G. Department of Endodontics, Baskent University School of Dentistry, Ankara, Turkey. firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Photomed Laser Surg. 2010 Oct;28 Suppl 2:S63-7. Epub 2010 Sep 23. Apical sealing quality of in vitro apicectomy procedures after using both Er:YAG and Nd:YAG. Leonardi DP, Sivieri-Araujo G, Zielak JC, Baratto-Filho F, Moriyama LT, Berbert FL. Department of Endodontics, Positivo University, Curitiba, PR, Brazil. email@example.com
9. Photomed Laser Surg. 2010 Oct;28 Suppl 2:S43-50. Epub 2010 Sep 23. Investigation of coronal leakage of root fillings after smear-layer removal with EDTA or Nd:YAG lasing through capillary-flow porometry. Michiels R, Vergauwen TE, Mavridou A, Meire M, De Bruyne M, De Moor RJ. Department of Operative Dentistry and Endodontology, Ghent Dental Laser Centre, Dental School, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium.
10. Photomed Laser Surg. 2010 Oct;28 Suppl 2:S75-8. Epub 2010 Aug 25. Bactericidal effect of Nd:YAG and Er:YAG lasers in experimentally infected curved root canals. Yasuda Y, Kawamorita T, Yamaguchi H, Saito T. Division of Clinical Cariology and Endodontology, Department of Oral Rehabilitation, School of Dentistry, Health Sciences University of Hokkaido, Ishikari-Tobetsu, Hokkaido, Japan. firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Photomed Laser Surg. 2010 Aug;28 Suppl 1:S73-8. Evaluation of antifungal efficacy of erbium, chromium: yttrium-scandium-gallium-garnet laser against Candida albicans. Onay EO, Alikaya C, Seker E. Department of Endodontics, Baskent University, School of Dentistry, Ankara, Turkey. email@example.com
12. Photomed Laser Surg. 2010 Aug;28 Suppl 1:S91-6. Effect of Er, Cr: YSGG laser irradiation on Enterococcus faecalis in infected root canals. Yavari HR, Rahimi S, Shahi S, Lotfi M, Barhaghi MH, Fatemi A, Abdolrahimi M. The Department of Endodontics, Tabriz Dental School, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran.
13. Lasers Surg Med. 2010 Jul;42(5):379-83. Two-dimensional changes and surface characteristics from an erbium laser used for root canal preparation. Roper MJ, White JM, Goodis HE, Gekelman D. Division of Endodontics, Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, University of California School of Dentistry, San Francisco, California 94143-0758, USA. firstname.lastname@example.org
14. Lasers Med Sci. 2010 Jun 24. [Epub ahead of print] Histological examination of experimentally infected root canals after preparation by Er:YAG laser irradiation. Kimura Y, Tanabe M, Imai H, Amano Y, Masuda Y, Yamada Y. Division of Endodontics, Department of Conservative Dentistry, Ohu University School of Dentistry, 31-1 Misumido, Tomita-machi, Koriyama City, Fukushima, 963-8611, Japan, email@example.com.
15. Lasers Med Sci. 2010 Jun 8. [Epub ahead of print] Influence of the parameters of the Er:YAG laser on the apical sealing of apicectomized teeth. Marques AM, Gerbi ME, Dos Santos JN, Noia MP, Oliveira PC, Junior AB, Zanin FA, Pinheiro AL. Center of Biophotonics, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Bahia, Av. Araújo Pinho, 62, Canela, Salvador, BA, CEP 40110-150, Brazil.
16. Dent Mater J. 2010 May;29(3):246-52. Epub 2010 May 20. Removal of root canal filling materials using Er:YAG laser irradiation. Tachinami H, Katsuumi I. Department of Endodontics and Operative Dentistry, School of Life Dentistry, Nippon Dental University, Tokyo, Japan. firstname.lastname@example.org
17. Lasers Med Sci. 2010 Sep;25(5):755-60. Epub 2010 Apr 27. Comparison of dentin root canal permeability and morphology after irradiation with Nd:YAG, Er:YAG, and diode lasers. Esteves-Oliveira M, de Guglielmi CA, Ramalho KM, Arana-Chavez VE, de Eduardo CP. Department for Conservative Dentistry, Periodontology and Preventive Dentistry, RWTH Aachen University, Pauwel Strasse 30, 52074, Aachen, Germany. email@example.com
18. Aust Endod J. 2010 Apr;36(1):6-11. Safety of laser use under the dental microscope. Saegusa H, Watanabe S, Anjo T, Ebihara A, Suda H. Pulp Biology and Endodontics, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan. firstname.lastname@example.org
19. J Oral Sci. 2010;52(1):77-81. Comparison of the effect of Er, Cr-YSGG laser and ultrasonic retrograde root-end cavity preparation on the integrity of root apices. Rahimi S, Yavari HR, Shahi S, Zand V, Shakoui S, Reyhani MF, Pirzadeh A. Department of Endodontics, Tabriz Dental School, Tabriz University (Medical Sciences), Iran.
20. J Endod. 2010 Apr;36(4):725-8. Epub 2010 Feb 6. Comparison of bacterial reduction in straight and curved canals using erbium, chromium:yttrium-scandium-gallium-garnet laser treatment versus a traditional irrigation technique with sodium hypochlorite. Dewsnup N, Pileggi R, Haddix J, Nair U, Walker C, Varella CH. Department of Endodontics, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610-0436, USA.
21. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010 Apr;109(4):e77-82. Morphological assessment of dentine and cementum following apicectomy with Zekrya burs and Er:YAG laser associated with direct and indirect Nd:YAG laser irradiation. de Moura AA, Moura-Netto C, Barletta FB, Vieira-Júnior ND, Eduardo Cde P. Department of Endodontics, Universidade de São Paulo (USP), São Paulo, Brazil. email@example.com
22. Photomed Laser Surg. 2010 Apr;28(2):161-5. Thermal effects from modified endodontic laser tips used in the apical third of root canals with erbium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet and erbium, chromium-doped yttrium scandium gallium garnet lasers. George R, Walsh LJ. School of Dentistry, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.
23. J Endod. 2010 Jan;36(1):100-4. The synergistic antimicrobial effect by mechanical agitation and two chlorhexidine preparations on biofilm bacteria. Shen Y, Stojicic S, Qian W, Olsen I, Haapasalo M. Division of Endodontics, Department of Oral Biological and Medical Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
24. Photomed Laser Surg. 2010 Feb;28(1):103-8. Analysis of permeability and morphology of root canal dentin after Er,Cr:YSGG laser irradiation. Silva AC, Guglielmi C, Meneguzzo DT, Aranha AC, Bombana AC, de Paula Eduardo C. Department of Restorative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil.
25. Ned Tijdschr Tandheelkd. 2009 Jul;116(7):355-60. [Laser treatment in root canals. Effective by explosive vapour bubbles]. [Article in Dutch] Blanken JW, Verdaasdonk RM. Universitair Medisch Centrum, Utrecht.
26. J Biomech Eng. 2009 Jul;131(7):071004. Evaluation of effectiveness of Er,Cr:YSGG laser for root canal disinfection: theoretical simulation of temperature elevations in root dentin. Zhu L, Tolba M, Arola D, Salloum M, Meza F. Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA. firstname.lastname@example.org
27. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Sep;41(7):514-9. Laser induced explosive vapor and cavitation resulting in effective irrigation of the root canal. Part 1: a visualization study. Blanken J, De Moor RJ, Meire M, Verdaasdonk R. Department of Dental Materials Sciences, Academic Centre for Dentistry Amsterdam, University of Amsterdam and VU University Amsterdam, Louwesweg 1, 1066 EA Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
28. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Sep;41(7):520-3. Laser induced explosive vapor and cavitation resulting in effective irrigation of the root canal. Part 2: evaluation of the efficacy. De Moor RJ, Blanken J, Meire M, Verdaasdonk R. Department of Operative Dentistry and Endodontology, Ghent Dental Laser Center, Dental School, Ghent University, De Pintelaan 185/P8, Ghent B-9000, Belgium. email@example.com
29. Dent Today. 2009 Jul;28(7):81-2, 84, 86; quiz 87, 80. Lasers as aids for cleaning, shaping, and obturation of the root canal system. Mohammadi Z. Department of Endodontics, Hamedan University of Medical Sciences, Hamedan, Iran. firstname.lastname@example.org
30. Lasers Med Sci. 2010 Nov;25(6):805-10. Epub 2009 Jun 23. Bactericidal activity of erbium, chromium:yttrium-scandium-gallium-garnet laser in root canals. Arnabat J, Escribano C, Fenosa A, Vinuesa T, Gay-Escoda C, Berini L, Viñas M. Department of Pathology and Experimental Therapeutics, University of Barcelona, Feixa Llarga s/n, Hospitalet, Barcelona, Spain.
31. Photomed Laser Surg. 2009 Apr;27(2):351-5. The temperature changes in the pulp chamber during cavity preparation with the Er:YAG laser using a very short pulse. Krmek SJ, Miletic I, Simeon P, Mehici? GP, Ani? I, Radisi? B. School of Dental Medicine, Department of Endodontics and Restorative Dentistry, Veterinary Faculty of the University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia. email@example.com
32. Int Dent J. 2009 Feb;59(1):35-46. Laser applications in endodontics: an update review. Mohammadi Z. Department of Endodontics, Hamedan University of Medical Sciences, Hamedan, Iran. firstname.lastname@example.org
33. Am J Dent. 2009 Feb;22(1):14-8. Efficacy of calcium hydroxide, Er:YAG laser or gaseous ozone against Enterococcus faecalis in root canals. Noetzel J, Nonhoff J, Bitter K, Wagner J, Neumann K, Kielbassa AM. Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University School of Dental Medicine, Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Assmannshauser Str. 4-6, 14197 Berlin, Germany. email@example.com
34. Alpha Omegan. 2008 Dec;101(4):195-201. The use of lasers for cleaning and disinfecting of the root canal system. Stabholz A, Sahar-Helft S, Moshonov J. Department of Endodontics, Hebrew University-Hadassah School of Dental Medicine, Jerusalem, Israel.
35. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2009 Jan;107(1):e47-55. Possibility of root canal preparation by Er:YAG laser. Inamoto K, Horiba N, Senda S, Naitoh M, Ariji E, Senda A, Nakamura H. Department of Endodontics, School of Dentistry, Aichi Gakuin University, Aichi, Japan. firstname.lastname@example.org
36. J Endod. 2008 Dec;34(12):1524-7. Epub 2008 Oct 2. Laser activation of endodontic irrigants with improved conical laser fiber tips for removing smear layer in the apical third of the root canal. George R, Meyers IA, Walsh LJ. School of Dentistry, University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD, Australia.
37. Lasers Med Sci. 2009 Sep;24(5):697-701. Epub 2008 Aug 12. Vibrations produced during erbium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet laser irradiation. Anic I, Miletic I, Krmek SJ, Borcic J, Pezelj-Ribaric S. Department of Endodontics and Restorative Dentistry, School of Dental Medicine, University of Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia.
38. J Endod. 2008 Jul;34(7):826-9. Epub 2008 May 22. Effects of Er:YAG laser irradiation on biofilm-forming bacteria associated with endodontic pathogens in vitro. Noiri Y, Katsumoto T, Azakami H, Ebisu S. Department of Restorative Dentistry and Endodontology, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, Osaka, Japan. email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org>
39. J Endod. 2008 Jun;34(6):706-8. Epub 2008 Apr 11. Apical extrusion of root canal irrigants when using Er:YAG and Er,Cr:YSGG lasers with optical fibers: an in vitro dye study. George R, Walsh LJ. School of Dentistry, The University of Queensland Brisbane, Brisbane, Australia.
40. J Endod. 2008 Apr;34(4):474-7. Impact of Er,Cr:YSGG laser therapy on the cleanliness of the root canal walls of primary teeth. Soares F, Varella CH, Pileggi R, Adewumi A, Guelmann M. Department of Pediatric Dentistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32610-0436, USA.
41. Lasers Med Sci. 2009 Jan;24(1):7-12. Epub 2007 Dec 18. In vitro preliminary study to evaluate the capability of Er,Cr:YSGG laser in posterior teeth root-canal preparation with step-back technique. Minas NH, Meister J, Franzen R, Gutknecht N, Lampert F, Mir M. Department of Conservative Dentistry, Periodotology and Preventive Dentistry, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany. email@example.com
42. Lasers Med Sci. 2009 Jan;24(1):59-65. Epub 2007 Nov 20. The impact of an erbium, chromium:yttrium-scandium-gallium-garnet laser with radial-firing tips on endodontic treatment. Schoop U, Barylyak A, Goharkhay K, Beer F, Wernisch J, Georgopoulos A, Sperr W, Moritz A. Department of Conservative Dentistry, Dental School, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria. firstname.lastname@example.org
43. Lasers Med Sci. 2008 Oct;23(4):443-50. Epub 2007 Oct 24. Histopathological evaluation of pulpotomy with Er,Cr:YSGG laser vs formocresol. Toomarian L, Fekrazad R, Sharifi D, Baghaei M, Rahimi H, Eslami B. Department of Pediatrics, Shaheed Beheshti School of Dentistry, Tehran, Iran.
44. J Endod. 2007 Sep;33(9):1091-3. Epub 2007 Jul 5. Obturation of root canal system treated by Cr, Er: YSGG laser irradiation. Varella CH, Pileggi R. Department of Endodontics, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA. email@example.com
45. J Endod. 2007 Aug;33(8):966-9. Epub 2007 May 18. Interaction between sodium hypochlorite and chlorhexidine gluconate. Basrani BR, Manek S, Sodhi RN, Fillery E, Manzur A. Department of Endodontics University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. firstname.lastname@example.org
46. Lasers Med Sci. 2008 Jul;23(3):247-52. Epub 2007 Jul 21. Effects of Er:YAG laser and Nd:YAG laser treatment on the root canal dentin of human teeth: a SEM study. Kivanç BH, Ulusoy OI, Görgül G. Department of Operative Dentistry and Endodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey. email@example.com
47. J Am Dent Assoc. 2007 Jul;138(7):992-1002. The antimicrobial efficacy of the erbium, chromium:yttrium-scandium-gallium-garnet laser with radial emitting tips on root canal dentin walls infected with Enterococcus faecalis. Gordon W, Atabakhsh VA, Meza F, Doms A, Nissan R, Rizoiu I, Stevens RH. Department of Endodontology, Temple University, Philadelphia, USA.
48. J Am Dent Assoc. 2007 Jul;138(7):949-55. The use of the erbium, chromium:yttrium-scandium-gallium-garnet laser in endodontic treatment: the results of an in vitro study. Schoop U, Goharkhay K, Klimscha J, Zagler M, Wernisch J, Georgopoulos A, Sperr W, Moritz A. Department of Conservative Dentistry, Medical University of Vienna, Austria. firstname.lastname@example.org
49. Braz Dent J. 2006;17(4):296-9. Er:Yag laser irradiation of the microbiological apical biofilm. Araki AT, Ibraki Y, Kawakami T, Lage-Marques JL. Department of Endodontics, School of Dentistry, University of São Paulo, Avenida Professor Lineu Prestes 2227, 05508-000 São Paulo, SP, Brazil.
50. Int Endod J. 2007 Feb;40(2):112-9. Bactericidal efficacy of Er,Cr:YSGG laser irradiation against Enterococcus faecalis compared with NaOCl irrigation: an ex vivo pilot study. Eldeniz AU, Ozer F, Hadimli HH, Erganis O. Department of Endodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Selcuk, Konya, Turkey. email@example.com
51. Journal of Endodontics Volume 37, Issue 11 , Pages 1585-1589, November 2011. Efficacy of Smear Layer Removal at the Root Tip by Using Ethylenediaminetetraacetic Acid and Erbium, Chromium: Yttrium, Scandium, Gallium Garnet Laser. Harry Huiz Peeters, DDS, Ketut Suardita, DDS, PhD, Sp. KG, published online 28 September 2011.
52. Journal of Endodontics Volume 37, Issue 6 , Pages 839-843, June 2011. Visualization of Irrigant Flow and Cavitation Induced by Er:YAG Laser within a Root Canal Model. Himeka Matsumoto, DDSYoshito Yoshimine,PhD, DDS, Akifumi Akamine, PhD, DDS